At 06:02 PM 6/23/97 -0400, gordon seese wrote:
>        There is no such thing as Just another librarian--
>        Curious- Do you still retain telephone books or have you been able
>to convert your patrons to using the CD addresses?
>        Ours panic at using the computer catalogs, but I always tell them,
>if I learned how, so can you!!
>                Thea Seese--Library volunteer-

We have Phone Fiche on our computers, and its quite extensive, business
and residential for the entire U.S.A.  Also the 5th. floor still maintains
hardcopy telephone books for the U.S. and some selected foreign countries.

The most amazing thing to me is that people seem to want to learn to use
computers. We have a Technology Center on the first floor (Library
where I work is 8 stories), which will teach people, free of charge, to use
our "Big Cat" as they are called now.

They just recently changed software to Windows 3.11 for workgroups.
As with most things, there are certainly bugs in the software.
On one floor alone I have 32 computers for patron use, and 7 for staff.
Last week I was wishing my Father had named me something besides
"Marjorie" as I got tired of listening to it!!!

I use your trick too, Thea, telling them," if I can do it ,you can do it".
I have had pure white hair since I was 27 years old, so it does
make an impression on them.  Of course, as you know, anyone
under 12 years old was born knowing how to use a computer!!!
But I'm really trying to catch up with them!!!!

As Ever,
Marjorie Moorefield
just another librarian
with PD 64/9