Regarding piano playing, etc. without symptoms, there is some good research
on the fact that music takes a separate path in the brain and thus, when one
yields to it, can bring about activity which is not usually possible when
cognitively trying.  Any kind of music which "moves" an individual can have
this effect.  One of my favorite authors is the neurologist, Oliver Sacks.
 In his interesting and entertaining book, A LEG TO STAND ON, he describes
his own dramatic personal experience with this when he was healing from a
broken leg which severely damaged nerves.  My own experience confirms this.
 I was particularly ill due to some other medical problems in addition to the
Parkinsons, totally drained of stamina, and had been so for months.   On the
radio came some spirited Gilbert & Sullivan.  I'm an in-the-closet dancer (no
peeking!).  Anyway, on came the music, off the couch came me without
thinking, and for the first time in months I was energized.  I was so
grateful I called the NPR station & donated $50!  There truly is serious
research on this.  Techniques are being used now with stroke victims and
those with various other challenges.  So crank up your favorite music & let
yourself go!       [log in to unmask]