Response to:  Ann Gibbons and Debbie Hurlbert re:  Blood donations and
Hemochromatosis

It is correct that old-fashioned "blood-letting" is the treatment for
subject disease which can affect various organs of the body, particularly
the liver.  I had a brother die in September of last year who besides
hemochromatosis, suffered from diabetes, Parkinson's and a chronic  back
injury from WWII.  He was 69.  I also have another brother, age 62 who has
hemochromatosis and he has monthly treatments of blood-letting.  I have
read in a medical book that especialy male relatives of these patients
should be checked.  I have alerted my two sons to this.  It is said to be
mainly a man's disease since women by nature lose more blood.

Our mother died at age 69 from a different blood condition -
thrombocytopenia purpura.
Her system failed to produce platelets,  and she lost so much blood, which
lowered her resistance until she finally  contracted pneumonia.

In my own case, I was a blood donor for a number of years and gave gallons
of blood for the local blood bank  in support of various relatives and
church members who could not contribute for their own family blood support.
It was easy for me to do and I loved doing it because I know how important
it is when needed.  I have type 0- and instead of going automatically, I
went on call as needed many times for surgery, etc.  I also tried to
contribute to the pharesis program, but something happened that caused me
to shake uncontrollably and they stopped with less than enough for a
tranfusion because of my  reaction.  Soon after that I was diagnosed with
Parkinson's Disease and because of my  taking Sinemet and Eldepryl, the
privilege was denied me.  For a long time after that I couldn't keep from
crying when I heard of need of blood supply for the area Blood Bank.
In retrospect, I wonder if the reaction was due to my undiagnosed (at that
time) PD.
(I apologize for the length of  my remarks.)
Thanks for contributions from so many  of you to the Digest.  I love it!
Ruth (73/4yrs)