There has been a lot of attention directed at Rep. Bliley, who was
responsible for bottling up the Udall bill last session in his committee
and who still chairs that committee.  When it initially struck my brain
that I could, despite not being his "legislative district constituent,"
write him as a "constituent American," I composed a very personal message
to him.  It is an appeal more than a demand, for he has no reason to read
the latter.

The letter I sent him was then attached as an add-on to another message a
few days back.  Since it may not have been seen by all who might like to
read it, I submit it again.  For those seeing it for the second time, I
apologize.

Attention:  Howard Cohen

Dear Congressman Bliley:

I haven't written many "life or death" letters in my lifetime. This may
qualify as my first.

All my life I have believed in this country.  We went to war against the
hated  Nazis and Japs when I was a kid. I bought "War" stamps.   We won,
and we helped them repair, and I bought "Victory" and "Savings" bonds.  We
airlifted to Berlin, and lost over 50,000 men in Korea (my war - Army
'54-'56) for democracy.  We risked war many times for principles we
believed in, from Cuba to Formosa, Vietnam to Grenada.

Through the years I have watched as others succumbed to diseases.  As a
kid, Bernie, our best pitcher fell victim to polio, and never threw another
ball.  I have seen MS, cancer, and heart disease take friends and
relatives.  I have seen dementia and "the shakes" overwhelm many.

As we supported our war efforts, Congressman, the people of America have
always supported research to help find a treatment, a cure, for these
diseases.  I saved pennies and nickels for polio, collected newspapers and
cans, too.  We took up collections at school, at work.  We supported our
government as it invested in treatments and cures.  We wanted to help.  It
was right.

A small thing, but I have donated ten gallons of my blood to save the lives
of others. Inconvenient, sometimes painful - but I did it because it was
right.

I applauded as the government poured funds into AIDS, prostate and breast
cancer research.  Attacking disease, like attacking a threatening military
enemy, is right.  It is part of our process - it will happen if the people
support it.

Now I am not so sure.  And you have contributed to my doubt, by holding the
Mo Udall Parkinson's research bill in your committee last session, despite
the fact that over half of the membership of both the House and Senate
favored the bill, including over half of your own committee.

Mo Udall is a fine man.  Mo was my congressman for eight terms. He is dying
of Parkinson's disease.  It is a long, slow, all-encompassing disease -
victims end up unable to talk, walk, even swallow, and may "live" in that
state for many years.  But your colleagues, Senators Wellstone and McCain,
and Representative Upton, can describe this far better than I - they have
seen it up close.

We worked hard to get Senator McCain and Representative Kolbe to support
the bill named for Mo.  They both initially objected to "earmarking," but
both became supporters when the facts were laid on the table for them.
Why?  Because it was right.

Like my former congressman, I am dying of Parkinson's.  Passage of the
bill named for him will do nothing to save Mo, and, although I am not as
far along as Mo, probably not me.  But it will save millions of other
Americans, possibly in my family, who will have done nothing to bring on
this terrible disesase.

Please - please! -  help, if no more than allowing the bill to be referred
out of your committee.  I know you CAN do what you did last session - it is
legal, it is part of the rules.  But that does not make it right.

                        Sincerely,

                        Robert L. Dolezal
                        5319 E Calle Bosque
                        Tucson  AZ  85718