Marjorie, I have a mental block when it comes to VCR programming. I have
built many electronic devices over the years, from kits and from scratch, I
repair elctronic equipment such as copiers and printing presses, etc. But
when I open the manual for a VCR with its semi translated from Japanese to
English text (example, "the ramp will extinguish when the button is pressed
upon)=the lamp, or light will go out........my eyes glaze over after a few
minutes. If someone holds a gun to my head, I can do it, but I'd rather be
doing something else! It's amazing how the brain works (or doesn't) according
to the task at hand! I might mention the latest VCR has VCR plus to
supposedly set it to record using codes from the TV guide, as well as a
wealth of other features that I paid for, but will probably never use. I
prefer the TV/VCR combo in the kitchen, I got that programmed in a few
minutes, without even using the instruction book!  Ken B
P.S. my mom has been programming her own VCR for years, and she was always
"unmechanical" as she says!