At 05:04  26/06/97 -0400, jim and emily jackson wrote:
>A copywrited (sorry, can't copy here) story turned up Thu. June 26, 7:01PM
>EDT on the Yahoo home page under "health" on the discovery of a Parkinson's
>gene in a couple of small groups of genetically related persons in Italy
>and Greece.
___________________________________

Copyright laws or not, here it is. We need all the information and help we
can get. This news article is a condensed version of the post from Jim=
 Cordy.
Judith
____________________________________

Thursday June 26 7:01 PM EDT=20

Parkinson's Gene Found

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- For the first time, researcher have discovered a gene
that causes Parkinson's disease, the
neurological disorder that causes tremors, muscle rigidity, and difficulty
walking.=20

While the genetic mutation may explain only a handful of cases of
Parkinson's disease, it may shed light on the causes of
the disease in the general population -- an ongoing mystery.=20

"Even if the mutation we have described is directly related to only a small
fraction of the total number of Parkinson's
disease patients, it provides a clue that should lead to the understanding
of the underlying pathways resulting in the
symptoms of Parkinson's disease," reported lead study author Dr. Michael
Polymeropoulos, of the National Human
Genome Research Institute at the National Institute of Health (NIH) in
Bethesda, Maryland.=20

The gene was discovered in a large family of Italian descent, whose members
are prone to an early-onset form of
Parkinson's disease, striking around age 46, according to a report in this
week's issue of Science. Afterwards, the
mutation in the gene, which makes a protein involved in nerve function
called alpha synuclein, was also identified in three
unrelated Greek families.=20

The exact function of alpha synuclein is unclear, but in the brain it is
expressed in the olfactory bulb (involved in the
sense of smell), hippocampus (involved in memory), the amygdala (emotion),
and other areas of the brain. The pattern
of expression is similar to that of Lewy bodies, protein deposits found in
the brain's of Parkinson's disease patients.=20

About 500,000 people in the U.S. have Parkinson's disease, which is caused
by nerve cell death in the part of the brain
that controls movement. Most patients are treated with levodopa (L-dopa),
but the drug has many side effects and
eventually stops working.=20

"This finding could prove to be the most significant advance in our
understanding of Parkinson's disease since the
dopamine hypothesis was put forward in the mid-1960s," said Dr. Harold
Varmus in a release from the NIH. "This
discovery about Parkinson's disease also deepens our study of Alzheimer's
disease, basic neuroscience, cell biology
and genome research and gene mapping," said Varmus, the director of the NIH.=
=20

The study was conducted by a team of researchers from the NIH; the Robert
Wood Johnson Medical School in
Piscataway, New Jersey; University of Naples, Italy; and the University of
Patras Medical School in Greece.
SOURCE: Science (1997;276:2045-2047)=20

Copyright =A9 1997 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or
redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited
without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable
for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken
in reliance thereon=20