Emily,
My server has been down for a couple of days, and I'm not sure if my
messages have been getting through to the list. Let me know if you
already received this; if not, I'll re-post the other replies I've sent.

jim and emily jackson wrote:

> <Sun. June 22 Kathrynne Holden MS RD wrote:  Caution: people with abnormal
> blood sugar, high <triglycerides, or lung disease should consult their
> physician (and a registered <dietitian) before beginning such a diet change.>
>
> Katherine: what does lung disease have to do with it?  Jim has emphysema as
> well as heart disease, both stable and controlled with meds.  Triglycerices
> lowered with Mevacor.

Dear Emily,
You're concentrating on good nutrition, which is the most important
thing, as regards nutritional health. If freezing hasn't occurred yet,
Jim probably doesn't need any protein adjustment. With the conditions of
elevated triglycerides, lung disease, or diabetes, however, some people
may require careful monitoring if a high-carbohydrate diet is attempted.

With chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) there is interference
with the inflow of oxygen and with elimination of carbon dioxide,
resulting in abnormal blood gases. Carbohydrate foods produce more
carbon dioxide when metabolized than fats and proteins, and this CO2 is
not readily eliminated via respiration; it can build up in the blood.
Some patients with COPD require an adjustment of fats and carbohydrate
foods, depending on lab values and other factors.

In some cases, tryglycerides may be further elevated in susceptible
persons, when a very high carbohydrate diet is eaten.

In the case of diabetes, carbohydrates need to be carefully monitored
along with frequent checks of blood sugar.

Therefore, PWP who would benefit from the 7:1 protein plan should check
with both their physician and a registered dietitian before making any
changes. In the study I'm currently conducting, we have found cases of
all three of these conditions. The diet plan is still workable, however,
adjustments in medications are necessary, and this needs to be done on
an individual basis.

My very best regards to you and Jim,
Kathrynne

--