Lori Bauer wrote: =

> My grandmother was diagnosed with PD approximately 7 years ago.  She ju=
st
> began Valium last week. =

Dear Lori,
There are some possible drug interactions between Sinemet and Valium:
Drug interactions report for the following 2 medications:

Diazepam (Valium=AE, Valrelease=99, Dizac=99)
Levodopa; Carbidopa (Sinemet=AE)

Levodopa; Carbidopa/Diazepam
Patients receiving levodopa for Parkinson's disease experienced an
exacerbation of parkinsonian symptoms when benzodiazepines were added to
their regimen. Benzodiazepines should be administered cautiously to such
patients.

Some possible adverse effects regarding Valium alone:
Abrupt discontinuation of diazepam after prolonged use can cause
seizures in susceptible patients. Benzodiazepine withdrawal causes
irritability, nervousness, and insomnia. Benzodiazepine withdrawal is
more likely to occur following abrupt cessation after excessive or
prolonged doses, but it can occur following the discontinuance of
therapeutic doses administered for as few as 1=972 weeks. Benzodiazepine
withdrawal is also more severe if the agent involved has a relative
shorter duration of action. Abdominal cramps, confusion, depression,
perceptual disturbances, sweating, nausea, vomiting, parasthesias,
photophobia, hyperacusis, tachycardia, and trembling also occur during
benzodiazepine withdrawal, but their incidence is less frequent.
Convulsions, hallucinations, delirium, and paranoia also can occur.
Benzodiazepines should be withdrawn cautiously and gradually, using a
very gradual dosage-tapering schedule. Diazepam is usually chosen as the
agent for controlled tapering in all cases of benzodiazepine withdrawal.

The clearance and/or elimination of many drugs are reduced in the
elderly. Delayed elimination can either intensify or prolong the actions
of adverse reactions of the drug. Benzodiazepines have been associated
with falls in the elderly and the consumer advocate group, Public
Citizen, has recommended these drugs not be used in the elderly.

> Over the last week she seems fatigued and
> lethargic.  This whole fiasco began when I mentioned to the nurses at t=
he
> nursing home that she was depressed.  A psychiatrist was called in.  He=

> prescribed zyprexa (anti-psychotic), buspar (anti-anxiety) and remeron
> (anti-depressant).  All of this resulted in a trip to the emergency roo=
m.

I couldn't find information on zyprexa, and little on remeron. Possible
adverse effects for buspar are:

The most common adverse reactions occurring during therapy with
buspirone are CNS effects such as dizziness (occurring in about 12% of
patients), drowsiness (10%), headache (6%), and nausea/vomiting (6=978%).=

Some patients exhibited a syndrome of restlessness with nervousness (5%)
and excitement (2%).

Less common adverse events occurring more frequently in buspirone
treated patients than in placebo receiving patients include
anger/hostility, confusion, blurred vision, myalgia, numbness,
paresthesias, incoordination, tremor, weakness and diaphoresis.

In premarketing assessment adverse events were recorded by over 3500
patients. A causal relationship has not been established. The most
frequently reported adverse events, occurring in more than 1% of
patients were nonspecific chest pain, nightmares, tinnitus, sore throat,
and nasal congestion.

> She was so completely disoriented and hallucinating they didn't know wh=
at
> to do!  =

 The next thing I
> knew, the psychiatrist had called back and put her on the valium. I'm
> just trying to hang in there until next week when she goes to her first=

> neuro appointment.  I'm hoping he can take over most of the meds and ge=
> her straightened out.  I think it would be better to have just one
> physician handling the medication if possible.

I agree, Lori, and preferably a neurologist specializing in movement
disorders, or else a geriatrician. Either will be much better equipped
to deal with these problems. And, very often, a pharmacist can help you
interpret and sort out all these confusing factors. I'll be hoping for a
good outcome for your grandmother following the neuro appointment.

My very best regards to you and your grandmother,
Kathrynne

-- =

Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,
"Spotlight on Food--nutrition news for people 60-plus"
http://www.fortnet.org/~fivstar
and NUTRITION TOPICS copy-ready handouts
http://www.dietetics.com/class/fivstar/
Tel: 970-493-6532   Fax: 970-493-6538