Hi Folks,

I saw the first posts come in on grapefruit interactions.  However, it is
not a subject I have studied as I never eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit
juice because it does not go with my sweet tooth.

For 3 days now I have had real problems with my meds (Sinemet & Requip).
The meds have simply not worked at all in the morning and early afternoon
or, have had a really long delay before switching on.

This has been of some concern and ruined the best part of the week.  I
checked and double checked my diary of food eaten and timings of meds but
could see nothing obvious to account for it - especially as the breakfast
tends to be a standard "muesli with 2 slices of toast and marmalade.

Then it hit me!  On a total whim, whilst shopping, I had selected a
grapefruit marmalade as a change - I don't think I had eaten grapefruit
marmalade for 20 years previous to that.  Well, for the last 3 days I had
been eating grapefruit marmalade for breakfast.

This morning I resumed my normal ORANGE marmalade.  Result, back to normal
on meds.  Could half a pot of grapefruit marmalade over 3 days make that
difference?

Mary Manfredi's post showing grapefruit interferring with caffeine may be a
further clue.  As I have mentioned before, my neurologist advised coffee and
tea being good for my PD symptoms (rigidity - not tremor) because they were
a stimulant.  I have been grateful for this advice because it does indeed
seem to work for me.  However, if the grapefruit blocked it..?  Certainly
because of the caffeine blocking alone, I would now avoid grapefruit.

I believe that, where symptoms or response to medications vary in the short
term, there is always a reason but it can be difficult to find.

Thanks Mary and others for bring this up - Julia is finishing the grapefruit
marmalade.

Ernie Peters <[log in to unmask]>