Marjorie Moorfield wrote:

> Could all of you who have had surgery this year report
> to us , your electronic family, your condition at this time.

I had a pallidotomy 9 weeks ago and have experienced
the following improvements.

1.      left side dyskenisia has been reduced to a short
        burst at 'kick-in' (as compared to an all day
        endurance test pre-operatively).

2.      My physical abilities during my 'offs' are considerably
        improved both subjectively and in the test results.

3.      After several weeks of experimentation I have finally
        found a meds combination that allows me to achieve
        14 - 15 'On' hours in 18, with only minimal right sided
        dyskinesia. To do this I have had to stop using
        Sinemet CR.  My successful regime is:

        Eldepryl                1x 1times daily  (taken AM)
        Permax 250mcg   1x 3 times daily  (taken 6am;
                        12 noon;6pm)
        Sinemet100/25   1 1/2x6 times daily (taken at
                         6am;9am;12noon;3pm;6pm;9pm).

        I find that there is little or no leeway as to the timing of
        the sinemet. Taking them early can trigger right sided
        dyskinesia, taking them late can result in a prolonged
        'off' period.

On the negative side:

1.      My ability to turn over in bed, whilst objectively showing
        an improvement, feels as bad as it ever did.

2.      My sleeping patterns have remained poor, with 1- 5
        awake periods each night.  Insomnia is also a problem,
        and I am often awake from 4am onwards.  These
        patterns are unchanged from my pre-operative experience.

3.      The operation itself proved to be more traumatic than I had
        anticipated. This was because I had to have it twice in two
        weeks.  On the 1st occasion the surgeon aborted the
        procedure as he was unable to get the right response to
        the stimulations within 4mm of the anticipated site.  A
        2nd MRI, confirmed that his calculations were right but my
        brain was 'different' (I would just mention here that I have
        already heard every possible comment).  A week after the
        1st attempt we repeated the process, this time succesfully.

Summary

The improvement in my quality of life is profound.  Even when I was
experiencing the frustrations associated with adjusting my meds, my
overall condition was a great improvement on my pre-op situation. At
present right sided dyskinesia is only a very minor problem.  Should it
become worse I would certainly consider another pallidotomy.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10