Sue Maltais wrote:

> Did anyone see 20/20 last night?  They did a report on an herb called
> St.
> John's Wort that is having great success in helping people with mild
> moderate depression. I can't remember the Drs. name but he's written a
> book
> on it, and Dr. Tim Johnson was quite enthused about it.
>
> Sue, in Mass.
Sue,

I did see that report on twenty twenty.  While I tend to be skeptical
about such reports Jeineke from Harvard certainly adds some credibility
to the enthusiasm.  I have not reviewed the European studies. If they
were well conducted double-blind studies with large numbers of people
involved it certainly would be encouraging.  I do find it hard to
believe that there are almost no side effects.  If you gave placebo to a
group of people you would get a large number of reports of "side
effects".  If a substance is able to have as great a positive effect as
they claim it would certainly stand to reason that it would have
negative effects on a certain portion of the population.  Also drug
studies regarding treatment of depression are complicated by the fact
that about 1/3 of people taking placebo get better either through
spontaneous remission or suggestion.  In my practice of Psychiatry there
were a large number of people who improved prior to when any
pharmacologic effect of the drugs prescribed should have occurred.  I
presume the act of coming to a doctor and hearing the positive prognosis
of clinical depression itself is helpful.

It certainly sounds possible that the ST. Johns Wort may be useful for
depression.  It may contain a substance that effects known or unknown
neurotransmitters.  Having said that I would especially would like to
warn my fellow PWP that if it does effect neurotransmitters it has the
possibility of having effects on PD either positive or negative and be
careful if you choose to try it and discuss it with your neurologist.

Because something occurs in nature does not make it inherently better-
or worse than a substance manufactured in a laboratory.  Lithium is an
element but is also a powerful drug with both therapeutic effects and
serious side effects.  Tobacco and opium also occur in nature as does
digitalis.

The report is interesting but it is premature for statements to be made
like that of Barbara Walters-  that this is one of the most important
stories that they ever reported on.  That kind of media hype does a
disservice to the public, science, medicine and I think to those that
support serious research into alternative medicine.

Charlie
--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
MADISON, WISCONSIN