I am forwarding Stanley's message (with his permission) to ask for
information for him.  Stanley was hesitant to post his request at all
because he felt it was too depressing for those of us in the earlier
stages of pd but I explained to him that all topics about pd are open for
discussion and members will usually just delete those they don't want to
read or those not relevant to them.

The only suggestions I can come up with are to find a neurologist in the
Springfield, Missouri, area who specializes in pd and to prepare ahead of
time for the appointment by:
1.  keep a daily diary of his father-in-law's days including
medications, diet, exercise and symptoms with the timing of each of these
in case there is something significant about the sequences.
2.  send a copy of the diary to the neurologist ahead of any appointment.
3.  sit down together and discuss any questions you want to ask the neuro
and write them down and, again, send it to the neuro ahead of time.  I
would also suggest taking a copy with you to the appointment to be sure
that both documents are in the room with you at the time of the appointment.
4.  take a tape recorder with you and explain to the neuro that you want
to tape the meeting in case you 'forget' something (s)he said.  That way,
you will have a record of the meeting to remind you afterward of what was
said and the neuro will also be able to refer to specific points in
future discussions.
5.  we don't have to 'like' our neuros...it helps but it's not
necessary.  If the neuro knows what (s)he is doing and can communicate
that to us so that we are all perfectly clear about what is going on, we
can put up with personality deficits in the neuro.
6.  remember...you have 'hired' that neuro...you are paying money, in one
way or another, for his/her time.  During that appointment, you  have a
right to expect him/her to give you your money's worth of attention and
expertise.  If you are not getting your money's worth, ask your family
doctor to refer you to another neuro...in other words, fire the neuro and
hire another one.

Well, listmembers, that's my contribution to Stanley's questions....I'm
handing it over to you.

Barb

Barbara Patterson                               [log in to unmask]
HSC 2J22                                        905-525-9140, ext. 22403
                        School of Nursing