---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 23:42:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Welcome

I'm glad to be a member! I write on behalf of my father, who does not have a
computer of his own. (I think I might talk to my sisters about getting him a
laptop for Christmas so he can also be online!) Dad was diagnosed with
Parkinson's about six years ago. He belongs to the Parkinson's support group
that meets in Youngstown, OH. Mom and he attend the meetings each month. Dad
is still pretty active, but I think that the main thing he'd like to know
about is his voice. He had some Speech therapy for a while last year, but
then they had to discontinue, I think, because of the insurance. Anyway, he
had a posting that was given to him by a member of the Youngstown group in
which an injection to strengthen (stretch) the vocal cords, was discussed.
He's interested in learning more about the injection. Who does it? Where are
they located? He gets so frustrated because his voice is so low that
sometimes he moves his mouth but no sound comes out. Also, the words often
tumble out rapidly, making it hard to understand him.
As for me, I am their youngest daughter. I teach children with multiple
disabilities (although the technical name is the Multihandicapped class!) in
southeast Ohio. This coming Sept. I will start my sixth year teaching MH).
When I'm with my parents, I do what I can to help Dad (and Mom too). Thanks!
Trish