Ernie Peters wrote:
>From what I can see, it would be easy for a PDer to end up with low iron
> intake anyway.  Especially if their intake of red meat was very low.  Ever
> helpful Kathryne Holden may well comment on this.

Hi Ernie,
Thanks for the most interesting report -- I've taken note, and have
saved it for future reference.

Regarding iron, I have not been able to establish through published
literature that exogenous iron affects the iron concentration in the
brain in PD. To be on the safe side, though, I advise my patients not to
use iron supplements unless they are anemic. Dietary intake should not
be a problem, as far as I know at this time.

This is the current thinking among many professionals, anyway, as there
may be a connection between iron and heart disease. Reports are
conflicting, but as iron is a powerful oxidant, it's possible there is a
relation.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--