A <[log in to unmask]> schreef:

> currently I take one 10/100 kick starter in the AM
> followed by one 25/100 CR, one eldepryl and 1 mg permax and one artane an
> hour and half later;
> four hours later I repeat one  25/100 CR, one eldepryl, and 1 mg permax;
> 3 -4 hours later I repeat all (except the eldepryl).
> My problem is I have (over the last 3 weeks) had a sudden increase in off
> time. I can't get out of a chair, have extreme bradykinesia, extreme
> stiffness and tremor. I don't have any dyskinesia. I have been on this
> regimen for approx. 4 years.
> I will be calling my neuro this week, I just would appreciate any thoughts
> you fellow PDers may have.
> I am also giving SERIOUS thought to a pallidotomy, if my insurance will
> cover some of it.
> Thank you for your advice.
> Bob  46/5 (had symptoms long before diagnosis)

Bob,

I was told by the neurosurgeon who examined me to determine wether a
pallidotomy is indicated, that dyskinesias caused by the med's are the symptoms
most likely to dissapear after pallidotomy.
It seems that your symptoms ask simply for a higher dose of meds because you
don't seem to suffer from overdose symptoms. However your description lacks to
much details to conclude anything upon. The least that is needed is to know
when the symptoms appear and disappear in relation to your med-intake.
Is the one Artane you take in the morning having any effect.
Artane is expected to have an effect on the stiffness but not to diminish the
bradykinesia.
To my opinion all the possibilities to have more profit from your meds have to
be tried before thinking seriously about pallidotomy.
Maybe you want to discuss it further. In thet case send some more details.

                                                  Ida Kamphuis,
PS I too was diagnosed when forty,(now 53) but had symptoms long before.