Hi Kathie,

Several comments on your experience with Ambien.  The problem certainly
might have been precipitated by the drug itself.  While not the rule
with this type of medication it certainly does occur.

I can think of alternative explanations to consider.  Melatonin clearly
affects circadian rhythms.  The sudden cessation of the drug alone or in
combination with Ambien may have been a precipitant.  Also your
suspicion of the drug certainly did not help its efficacy.

The main point is that it did not work for you for whatever reason.
Personally I would choose Ambien over melatonin for sleep but if it or
something else that the data told me was safe and effective did not work
for me I would likely try the melatonin too. Since it works for you and
seems to have no negative effects (unless rebound insomnia had actually
occurred) continue on the melatonin.  Just realize that there probably
are not long-term studies for  either substance.

Also for your info I found this promising report out of Germany
published in the British Medical Journal. But FURTHER RESEARCH IS
INDICATED.

Abstract
St John's wort for depression--an overview and meta-analysis of
randomised clinical trials [see comments]

Authors:
Linde K , Ramirez G , Mulrow CD , Pauls A , Weidenhammer W , Melchart D
Projekt Munchener Modell, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat, Munich,
Germany.
BMJ 1996 Aug 3;313(7052):253-8

Article Number: UI96322668

Abstract: OBJECTIVE--To investigate if extracts of Hypericum perforatum
(St John's wort) are more effective than placebo
in the treatment of depression, are as effective as standard
antidepressive treatment, and have fewer side effects than standard
antidepressant drugs. DESIGN--Systematic review and meta-analysis of
trials revealed by searches. TRIALS--23 randomised
trials including a total of 1757 outpatients with mainly mild or
moderately severe depressive disorders: 15 (14 testing single
preparations and one a combination with other plant extracts) were
placebo controlled, and eight (six testing single preparations
and two combinations) compared hypericum with another drug treatment.
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES--A pooled
estimate of the responder rate ratio (responder rate in treatment
group/responder rate in control group), and numbers of
patients reporting and dropping out for side effects. RESULTS--Hypericum
extracts were significantly superior to placebo
(ratio = 2.67; 95% confidence interval 1.78 to 4.01) and similarly
effective as standard antidepressants (single preparations
1.10; 0.93 to 1.31, combinations 1.52; 0.78 to 2.94). There were two
(0.8%) drop outs for side effects with hypericum and
seven (3.0%) with standard antidepressant drugs. Side effects occurred
in 50 (19.8%) patients on hypericum and 84 (52.8%)
patients on standard antidepressants. CONCLUSION--There is evidence that
extracts of hypericum are more effective than
placebo for the treatment of mild to moderately severe depressive
disorders. Further studies comparing extracts with standard
antidepressants in well defined groups of patients and comparing
different extracts and doses are needed.
--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
MADISON, WISCONSIN