-On Sun 29 Jun, Peter Wood wrote:
> Thanks for your welcome I have just been diagnosed with pd I am 49,just I am
> married and live in Worcester UK,  My wife is a nurse in a hospice, I have a
> young son john aged 14.
>
> I have lots of questions- lots of fears-
>
> I am sure that your forum will help me over the years to come, I am lucky at
> present my symptons are slight, I will just have to fight the progress

> Peter Wood

Hello Peter, and Welcome to the list. I am sure that you will find lots of
help on this list. One thing that you can be sure of is that no matter what
your problem, there will be someone out there who has 'been there - done that,
who is younger/older/prettier/spottier/, or anything you can imagine. They
are a grand bunch of people though, and I am sure that you will make many
friends.
 By the way, I live in Derby (UK), so we are not so far away.

I assume that you have joined the Parkinson's Disease Society (UK) ? If not,
I urge you to do so. Are you in touch with your local branch? I can supply
a contact name and address for your local branch if you need one.

I am Secretary to the Derby branch, and also have a strong interest in the
Medical Research situation.  I was diagnosed at age 39, and am now 57.

 If you are like me, and a lot of other PWPs (people with parkinsons), you
will be thinking that the last thing you want to do is go to a meeting with
lots of people who are in various stages of PD, most of them worse than you.
It is a common and perfectly understandable reaction, but do please consider
this point; it is while you are young and still active that you can make the
biggest contribution to helping to cure the disease by fund-raising, or by
helping to improve the comfort of those in a more advanced state of PD.

We have just started a small UK version of the Parkinsn list, called PDUK. It
is not in competition with the Parkinsn list, and you may like to join us.
Contact Simon Coles  <[log in to unmask]>.

Also, if you have an interest in the Research progress, you may like to join
SPRING (Special Parkinson's Research INterest Group. I can give you more info
if you wish.
   Well, that should keep you quiet for a  while!

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>