At 01:09 AM 6/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Trish and Delda, and anyone else: I could not find an ad today for the
>device, but it is called Web TV, and I know that Magnavox is one company that
>has it, I am sure there must be others. I suggest calling any store that
>sells TV's and they'll probably be able to supply it or direct you to a place
>that does.  I guess it would be nice with a big screen TV!  If I see an ad I
>will give more info.  Ken B

I've been looking into webtv for Becky.  Just yesterday (Sunday) I saw both
the Sony and the Phillips/Magnavox versions.  They both have the same
components within the boxes and basically the same setup requirements.  The
Sony is a bit more expensive.  Each has a wireless keyboard option.  I'd
suggest the wireless keyboard so that one doesn't have to sit next to the
tv.  They work with any tv, according to the pamphlet and the store clerk.
I asked, "Even a very old tv?"  His response was that he thought that there
was a converter attachment so that the box would work with any tv.

Cautions:  Be sure that there is a local webtv phone number.  You still
need to have a phone line to dial in and long distance might be pricey.
The browser in the webtv box is proprietary and not Netscape or Internet
Explorer.  Therefore some web pages, built by nerds assuming that one or
the other would be used, are inaccessible; bonehead developers     :-})   .
  One cannot download anything and one cannot print anything via webtv.

One last caution is that Bill Gates owns webtv.  The store clerk went on to
say that there were aroung 70,000 units sold but that he wasn't sure if it
would remain as a viable entry in the www hardware world.  Maybe Barb M.
has some thought on this last part.

If desired, I can send a followup message with a list of specifications.

Jeff, Saturday partner for Becky, Seattle, WA