Hello Susan A.,

Its eerie when you meet someone on the list who in many ways mirrors
one's own predicament.  My name is Terry Brennan.  I live in suburban
Washington D.C. (Maryland to be exact) and I too am 39 years young.  I
was diagnosed at 30, but after learning about the symptoms of this
disease I can clearly say that I had cog-wheel rigidity, stiffness and
mucle rigidity at 22.  Long time friends pointed out a limp at that time
also.  Doctors were of no help until I developed the tremor (even then
most insisted that I was either too young or had the DT's).

My name is Susan A., from Dallas Tx area.  I'm new to the area, just
been here 6 mos.
But I'm not new to the treatment of PD.  I was diagnosed with PD when I
was 25, had symptoms for a year before that.
I am now 39, so going on 15 years with this.

In the years since I was diagnosed I have had 2 girls ages 8 and 11yrs.,

I too, have two children.  A daughter, 10 and a son who just turned 6.
 Early on, I was most concerned about how my disease would affect them.
 I am fortunate (if one can have PD and be 'fortunate') in that, so far,
my symptoms have not progressed very rapidly. Since diagnosis, they have
become bilateral.

I had brain surgery about 8 years ago on the Thalamus (spelling?), which
did wonders .
Right now I am currently taking Carbidopa/levodopa 25/100, permax,
eldepryl.  I do have periods of up and down with the meds,
but overall doing good.

I believe in exercise and have recently added a masters swimming course
to jogging, yard work and having two young kids to keep me busy.
 I have recently started exercising on a regular
basis (every morning), this has made a big difference in the way I
feel....
 My muscles can get rigid if I do not exercise, so I can make a
difference here.

I try to keep very active, and keep a positive outlook on all of this.
I really your attitude can make you or break you when dealing with
PD.  And of course the sense of humor has got to be there.  I think the
funniest thing I have heard is one day I over heard
one of my girls explaining why Mommies hand shakes, they said they
really didn't understand it totally, but they did
know that there Mom could make one heck of a milkshake.

Aren't kids great!  Mine really keep me going and are an effective cure
for the 'blues.'

Some days I do feel alone with my age and PD, would very much like to
know that there are some one else  about the same age as I trying trying
to deal with this and raise small kids.

Feel free to write to me 'off list'.

Terry Brennan

or