gordon seese wrote:

> At 09:13 PM 6/27/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Lori Bauer wrote:
> >>
> >>    I made the mistake of taking Gordon to a nursing home after an
> accident 3 years ago. The Neurologist's second in command decided to use
> Valium to "cure that tremor". The nurses in charge had no choice but to
> follow his orders. That was a Friday. Over the week-end my sister and
> husband came up and we just stared at him. He didn't know them, was in that
> "hot" feeling mode--I had then lay him on bags of ice(I had to request
> that). It was horrible--I got him out Monday. He feels that Valium was in
> bis system a long time. In other words, I did just take over--I never would
> have thought I could.

It is difficult to get used to "taking over".  I'm having to develop a
more pro-active approach.  I was under the (naive) assumption that the
health care professionals (doctors and nurses) had most, if not all, of
the answers.  That if you followed doctor's orders everything would be
fine. So much of my grandmother's medical care occurs over the telephone.
The nurses have to do what the doctors tell them to and a lot of the
time they don't seem to notice the side effects all of these different
medications are having.  I am learning to follow my "gut" instincts and
just do what I think is best for her.

Lori