Hi Val
My husband has had PD for 11 years.  You did the right thing to get some help
for your dad.  I'm curius why the ND is not seeing him again for 6 mos.  We
go every 3-4 months but our meds have not changed for some time now.  With
the change in your dad's medicine, and a new patient, I would call for an
appointment sooner if your dad doesn't do better.  Don't hesitate to call the
doctor if you have questions, don't carry the burden alone.
And don't feel quilty for not understanding the disease sooner-PD advances
slowly sometime and we don't notice the day-to-day changes until it is ovious
the PD needs additional help.