Jeff Jones wrote:

> At 08:47 AM 6/28/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Sue Maltais wrote:
> >>
> >> Did anyone see 20/20 last night?  They did a report on an herb
> called
> >> St. John's Wort that is having great success in helping people with
> mild
> >> to moderate depression. I can't remember the Drs. name but he's
> written a
> >> book on it, and Dr. Tim Johnson was quite enthused about it.
> >>
> >> Sue, in Mass.
> >Sue,
>
> I've been watching this thread develop for a short time and have
> decided to
> throw my 02 cents and opinions into the ring.
>
> To begin, I freely admit that I have so many opinions that some are
> bound
> to be wrong.  My intent with this message is to hold them up for
> consideration.  Throughout this message I am addressing ideas, not
> people.
> This is, by no means a flame directed at anyone.
>
> As far as I know, I am healthy, other than an incident that occurred
> three
> weeks ago when the front tire on my bicycle blew and I lost control
> and
> took a spill.  The result was an abrupt acceptance of ill health as a
> number of ribs were fractured.
>
> I have been taking St. John's Wort for months as a result of reading
> information disseminated from my health food store.  I didn't rush out
> immediately, but, rather, looked for more information.  I found Earl
> Mindell's Herb Bible and other sources that described St. John's Wort.
> There is a rather large body on knowledge in the naturopath community
> that
> is, in my view, generally ignored by most mainstream doctors.  Having
> corroborated the flyer from the health food store, I decided to try
> ST.
> John's Wort.  I found, almost immediately, a lessening of the negative
> feelings I seem to embrace every Sunday afternoon when I have time on
> my
> hands.  I'm not aware of any side affects and firmly believe that the
> St.
> John's Wort had no bearing on the breaking of my ribs.  :-})   At the
> same
> time, I also admit that I don't know if there are and side affects.
>
> As I look at this designer disease called Parkinsons, it strikes me
> that
> everyone has their very own unique set of bodily attributes and
> therefore
> everyone reacts differently to the different inputs introduced.  It
> also
> seems to me that at different times, a person's body reacts to the
> same
> input in different ways.  It becomes each person's, in my view, very
> own
> responsibility to monitor what's happening.  The important thing, in
> [...]

Jeff-

I don't disagree with you for the most part.   I don't think that the
issue is health vs. disease though.  If St. John's Wort is indeed
effective I presume that it is working like a drug.  Good controlled
studies are needed.  If it is effective with minimal side effects I
support its use.

My posting was one of caution.  I support research into the usefulness
of the substance.

Charlie
--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.