From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange  On Behalf Of Ken Becker
Sent:   Friday, June 27, 1997 10:01 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: Voice Recognition Software?

Elizabeth, I don't know specifics about voice recognition software, but I do
have  suggestions that might help. The first is to possibly use another
microphone with more sensitivity, to enable the software to work properly. If
you already have a sensitive (and directional) mike, possibly a preamplifier
could be used between the mike and the computer, to enhance the pickup
ability. There used to be many available in the days of phonograph records,
but I am sure a place like Radio Shack would have a sufficient unit. MAYBE a
mike used by people who do phone work that is suspended right at mouth level,
could be adapted to connect to your computer, it would possibly require a
special connector, or matching transformer.
A little more drastic solution, contact Barbara Mallut, she recently had
collagen injections to her vocal cords, which restored the her voice to
normal. I am sure she'll be happy to fill in the details.  Hope this helps.
Ken B