        Hi Russ,   just given the kind of program that we have at Waterloo,
I have been keeping track of the kind of program you are talking about, so
I'll summarize my observations and then others can add the stuff I have missed.

Naturally, I will begin with our own program--the Language and Professional
Writing Program at the University of Waterloo.  This is an MA program in
which students can take courses in applied, critical linguistics as well as
rhetoric and professional writing.  All of the LPW courses link a
theoretical perspective with a study of  professional  writing.  So for
example we have  case studies in business communication courses, web design
courses, science writing courses as well as a course in composition theory
and pedagogy.   We also have a co-op option, and we definitely suggest that
student with little background in professional communication take the co-op
option--that way they get the workplace profile and experience they need
before going on the job market.  Most of our undergraduates (Rhetoric and
Professional Writing students) already have this profile,  but graduates
from other universities often lack it.  Our graduate students also must take
a course in literary theory and a few literature courses.  This does
discourage some students.   In my view, however, the Canadian academy is
just not ready for a purely non-literary MA.  and the Literary theory course
is valuable as a way to  provide experience in "theorized practices" for
both literary and non-literary texts.   Students can complete the MA via
course work  (8 semester courses) or via 6 courses and a Master's
Project--often a study of workplace communicaiton.  We also require student
to prepare a portfolio prior to their Master's Project.  This portfolio
combines academic and professional writing examples.

        We also offer a PhD in Language and Literature in which a student
can  do in a doctorate using rhetorical, linguistic or literary theory  to
analyse the forms and practices of professional communication.  More about
this if you want it.

As to other programs in Canada.  Of course, I don't know them as well.  And
they should speak for themselves.  But I do know that SFU has a program that
would do a lot of what your students want.  I also think that Carleton has
an equivalent program.  Concordia has an interesting program as
well--although  I think this is an undergraduate program.  York University
has a certificate program in this area-- again though this is an
undergraduate program.  I have also heard rumours that  UVic is developing a
program--although again I think this is an undergraduate program.

So I guess at the graduate level--it's Waterloo, SFU or Carelton.

I hope this helps

Catherine F. Schryer
Dept. of English
University of Waterloo