Billy, in the US we have cigarettes sold from the Indian reservations, I
believe they sell them for about $1 a pack, much cheaper  than the taxed
variety.  I remember when I was in the U.S. Coast Guard, I could buy
cigarettes very cheap, so I would buy them for relatives, thinking I was
doing them a favor! Little did I suspect that I was a potential killer!  Even
if I have to pay more for my liquor, I support taxing anything that is
unhealthy, with the hope of discouraging  many people from using the item,
and to help pay for the medical expenses rather than pass it on to the
general public.Ken B