Like, I too, have had a pair of 'monitor glasses' for some 15
years now, ever since I developed this 'computer hobby'.
Bifocals are set for distance and reading books and newspapers
and the like, they are not for reading from the monitor.  I found
the solution was just to get a prescription for 'monitor eye
glasses', and they work perfectly, except for when you are
transcribing, that is typing from a manuscript, as you have to be
able to read the manuscript, and the bi-focals are for this.
However, with touch typing, you are not supposed to look at the
screen anyway, when transcribing, eh?