Jmorey wrote:
<< I had an operation in July '96. to control PD-like symptoms caused by
 normal pressure hydrocephalus. This can be confused with PD.  I may or may
 not have PD as well. I still have some PD-like symptoms.
  For the first time since the operation, I tried to play tennis. I played
 2-3 hrs. per day before the operation. The first shot I tried to run down,
 my brain said run but my legs couldn't keep up with my body.  I did an
 awesome swan dive on an asphalt court; at least a 9.5 score. Results were
 knees and hands bloody, two wrenched shoulders, and a destroyed ego.
 Question: can I cope with this in tennis and other sports or do I just give
 them up? >>

 Hi, Jmorey.

Regarding your question as to whether its time hang up the racquet for keeps
--  "H*LL NO!!!

First off,  you're talking about a full year lay-off  from a sport that is
one of the most unforgiving when comes to the impact of infrequent play.  I
don't know  the level you were at prior to the operation or how often you
played,  but  I think you had the raised the bar raised a tad too  high for
the first time out  after a 12-month  hiatus....regardless of your medical
condition.

Second, and forgive the "Psychic Hotline" bit here (but I'm a  little short
on facts) ,  I'm sensing that you're (like myself) maybe a "Graying Baby
Boomer" (or in the vicinity) who (again, like myself) is in a state of denial
that the "old bod" has a fair amount of mileage on it and it just might be
time to realize that maybe we shouldn't expect to perform like a 25 year old.
But even if  you can't get past that imagery (I know I haven't), you've got
to at least cut yourself some slack and EASE BACK INTO THE GAME.

Have you talked to your neuro about your aspirations on the tennis court and
how you might go about setting up a conditioning/training program that could
get your body in the "running condition" it needs to be in to keep those
"9.5" swan dives at a minimum? If you're doc doesn't have a clue (and it
wouldn't be a first) I'm sure posting another message will lead to a lot of
good advice.

Third, re. the PD/PD symptoms,  the tennis could be one of those "defining
moments" as to how you choose to deal with a condition which we have to
grapple with (at some level) every day. And based on that all-out effort you
were making during your "comeback tour",  I'll bet the farm that  you've
already  answered  "H*LL NO!!" your original question.

All the best.