Marling McReynolds wrote:

> Herman,
>
> Why did you stop the Eldepryl?  If you read the PDR neither
> Prozac nor Paxil go with Eldepryl, yet many of us take either
> Paxil or Prozac with our Eldepryl.
> The Paxil does NOT help me sleep.  Neither does the Eldepryl.  I
> have a great deal of trouble sleeping.  Also, I find that being
> dependent upon
> any "pill" or "drug" is repulsive to me.  If I had to I could live
> without
> Sinemet, with exercise and living with
> shaking.  However, when I stop taking the Paxil for a week or so,
> my depression is as low as a person can get.  So, I am looking
> for alternatives that really have no side effects, are as natural
> as possible, and less expensive. ( that last is an important
> consideration as Paxil is not cheap)
>
> don't forget how to laugh
> Marling
> [log in to unmask]  (work)  or   [log in to unmask]
Marling and others,

There is a theoretical risk of taking a SSRI antidepressants such as
Paxil, Prozac  or Zoloft (as well as the older tricyclics) with Eldepryl
which is a selective monoamine oxidase inhibitor.  However since it
inhibits at low doses only one type of MAO it rarely causes problems.
Be careful to avoid doses (per day) of greater than 10 mg of
eldepryl.
Also Marling given the problem you have had with depression I would be
very cautious about giving up the Paxil for a trial of ST. John's Wort.
I also would be concerned about possible interactions between the SJW
the Paxil and the Eldepryl and possibly other meds you are taking.
Since the mechanism of action of the SJW is not known you are sailing in
uncharted waters. My advise would be to let well enough alone.

Charlie
--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
MADISON, WISCONSIN