PD Gene and the Udall Bill
Call me a cynical old grouch, but reading the NIH press release
about the Parkinson's gene, I couldn't help noticing the frequent
mention of Alzheimer's, possible linkage to Alzheimer's, PD work
that might help Alzheimer's, etc, etc. Now it's certainly hard to
assign or justify research support funding that benefits only one
disease, to the exclusion of all others. And it's an unhappy
situation if research proposals are judged on the basis of which
disease the research will be about. But I get the distinct
feeling that PD research is treated like a poor relation, welcome
only for what it may bring for the rest of the family. And if
passage of the Udall Bill compels NIH to allot a bigger slice of
its budgetary pie to PD research, they will still be in total
control of just which area of PD research to back. And I bet in
that event, PD research having fallout for Alzheimer's or other
areas that NIH likes will be the heavy favorite. That way, NIH can
claim to fulfil any mandate for PD without really losing anywhere
else.
I see irony that government support for PD is about a tenth of
that for Alzheimer's, and to find this Parkinson's gene so proudly
hailed, WE had to give THEM a half $million of our privately
raised funds. Go figure.
Joe

J. R. Bruman  (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road