At 04:19 AM 7/5/97 -0400, you wrote:

><<
>
> Hi, Jmorey.
>
>Regarding your question as to whether its time hang up the racquet for keeps
>--  "H*LL NO!!!
>
>First off,  you're talking about a full year lay-off  from a sport that is
>one of the most unforgiving when comes to the impact of infrequent play.  I
>don't know  the level you were at prior to the operation or how often you
>played,  but  I think you had the raised the bar raised a tad too  high for
>the first time out  after a 12-month  hiatus....regardless of your medical
>condition.
>
>Second, and forgive the "Psychic Hotline" bit here (but I'm a  little short
>on facts) ,  I'm sensing that you're (like myself) maybe a "Graying Baby
>Boomer" (or in the vicinity) who (again, like myself) is in a state of denial
>that the "old bod" has a fair amount of mileage on it and it just might be
>time to realize that maybe we shouldn't expect to perform like a 25 year old.
>But even if  you can't get past that imagery (I know I haven't), you've got
>to at least cut yourself some slack and EASE BACK INTO THE GAME.
>
>Have you talked to your neuro about your aspirations on the tennis court and
>how you might go about setting up a conditioning/training program that could
>get your body in the "running condition" it needs to be in to keep those
>"9.5" swan dives at a minimum? If you're doc doesn't have a clue (and it
>wouldn't be a first) I'm sure posting another message will lead to a lot of
>good advice.
>
>Third, re. the PD/PD symptoms,  the tennis could be one of those "defining
>moments" as to how you choose to deal with a condition which we have to
>grapple with (at some level) every day. And based on that all-out effort you
>were making during your "comeback tour",  I'll bet the farm that  you've
>already  answered  "H*LL NO!!" your original question.
>
>All the best.

Concerning PD and athletics:

  Just because I have Parkinson's doesn't mean I am going to give up my urge
for athletics and even with my 53 year old body and 32 years of Parkinson's.
For the last 12 years I have played wheelchair basketball and 15 years of
golf and 3 years ago I started an adaptive skiing program in the Rocky
Mountains of Colorado. I realize that not everyone with Parkinson's will be
able to do this or even want to, but thats part of my way of coping with
this crazy disorder.  I have been down both roads and I prefer to take the
one I'm on right now.  I must say that over the years its been the good
Lord, my family and friends as well as trying to keep a positive attitude
and sense of humor that have kept me going.
About two years ago I accidently discovered a song by Randy Travis (country
singer) that has been a real inspiration to me and I play it daily.  The
song "Heart to Climb the Mountain" goes like this,  "There's a spirit only
found inside a winner, in those who never lose the will to try.  A strength
we all can share if we only realize, you gotta have the heart to climb the
mountain if you want to see the other side."  "Its a long hard road,
sometimes you're bound to fall. But you can't give up on your dream.  You
might get knocked down, but if you give your all, you're a winner every time
you play the game. And when the journey's over, you can say with pride, "
You gotta have the heart to climb the mountain if you want to see the other
side."

Now I am not saying that Iam any different than anyonelse with Parkinson's.
I go through the diskenisa, on off, freezing, all the things we unfortunaley
indure but a person just can't give up and I have tried to keep one step
ahead by doing the things mentioned above.  Please don't think I think Iam
any better than any one of you because I don't.  My only wish is that the
cure can be found for all of us and soon.  Thanks for listening.

Russ Ahlstrom     [log in to unmask]
53/22