Delda White wrote:

> Jon -- Loved reading about that terrific new device, the BOOK.  Wow,
> what a
> technological leap forward.  These are available now, you say?  When
> is the
> PENCIL going to be on the market.  Has the FDA tested these things?
> Delda
> White ([log in to unmask])

Delda,

My sources at the FDA tell me that PENCIL will be released in the not
too distant future- Just like pramipexole was due out imminently- which
meant 6 months.  I have obtained a secret copy of the proposed labeling
information and have decided to share it with the LIST. (in abbreviated
form)

Indications and Use

Pencil is the first in a series of devices designed to back up the
keyboard or voicemail in the unlikely possibility of battery or power
loss or in catastrophic conditions such as hard disk and/or cpu
failure.  Studies indicate that the device shows promise in other than
emergency situations but further study is necessary to confirm this.  In
the meantime the indications are for use only in the above proven
situations and only by practioners familiar with the devise and its use.

Contraindications. Allergy to Pencil or its components graphite and wood
are contraindications for the prescription of this device

Warnings: Pencil should be used with extreme caution with artists and
doodlers.  They have shown in studies to have the tendency to increase
use without adequate medical monitoring and stand the risk of overdose
or addiction.

Precautions

Pencil should be used with extreme caution in suicidal, homicidal or
self mutilating patients.  People have been reported to ignore their
doctors and mothers advice and either accidentally or intentionally poke
their eyes out.  There are rare reported deaths due to ingestion or
impaling during misuse. When misuse is suspected serum graphite levels
should be drawn.

With abuse carpal tunnel syndrome has been shown to develop.  EMG & NCV
are indicated to differentiate it from the more benign condition known
as writer's cramp.

Safety in children under the age of 16 has not been established.

Caution should be observed in use in women of childbearing age.

Information to Patients

(This is still in the draft stage.  Currently the company and the FDA
are far apart on the issue- the company does not want to give the
patient any information except to tell the patient that "it is good for
you" and "try it you'll like it"--  The FDA insists on all of the above
cautions embossed on the device itself in 2" high letters)

Interactions

Safety when used with Keyboard has not been adequately studied and
therefore patients should be cautioned against this combination.

Use in combination with paper is known to cause damage to paper to make
it unusable except if Eraser is utilized immediately after use.

Use with CRT screen is not recommended.

Use by patients with Parkinson's disease and other conditions which
cause tremor is not advised.  PD patients have been known to
aggressively insert Pencil into the nostril of a discourteous store who
clerk who was unable to read her handwriting.

Anxiety and frustration are common adverse reactions since the loss of
keyboard function is usually accompanied by loss of the individuals
spell checker operation.  Use of PENCIL without the ready availability
of DICTIONARY should not be instituted.

Adverse reactions: (see above)

Abuse Potential:  Pencil is a schedule 2 device

How Supplied:

PENCIL comes in the following strengths  PENCIL #1, PENCIL #2, PENCIL #3
and PENCIL # 4

CAUTION: FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS DISPENSING WITHOUT PRESCRIPTION.

Delda and others I hope this information is useful to you.

Charlie

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
MADISON, WISCONSIN