Sonia Nielsen wrote:

> ----------
> > Fra: Charles T. Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
> > Til: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
> > Emne: Re: Paxil
> > Dato: 5. juli 1997 12:51
> >
> > Marling McReynolds wrote:
> > >
> > > Why did you stop the Eldepryl?
> > Marling and others,
> >
> > There is a theoretical risk of taking a SSRI antidepressants such as
> > Paxil, Prozac  or Zoloft (as well as the older tricyclics) with
> Eldepryl
> > which is a selective monoamine oxidase inhibitor.  However since it
> > inhibits at low doses only one type of MAO it rarely causes
> problems.
> > Be careful to avoid doses (per day) of greater than 10 mg of
> > eldepryl.
> > Also Marling given the problem you have had with depression I would
> be
> > very cautious about giving up the Paxil for a trial of ST. John's
> Wort.
> > I also would be concerned about possible interactions between the
> SJW
> > the Paxil and the Eldepryl and possibly other meds you are taking.
> > Since the mechanism of action of the SJW is not known you are
> sailing in
> > uncharted waters. My advise would be to let well enough alone.
> >
> > Charlie
> > --
> > CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
> > MADISON, WISCONSIN
> > *********************************
>
> Hello Charlie,
> sorry I have not been reading the first e-mails about Eldepryl. I hope
> it``s OK to ask you if it`s normal that some people are going to be
> depressed when they take Eldepryl.
> I was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago, and one year after my neurologist
> told me
> to start
> Eldepryl. One week later I was depressed and refused to take the tabl.
> He
> told me it`s wasn`t "normal" that people became depressed.
> I stopped, and after one week I was OK.
> Now I have another neurologist and he has tried too to convince me
> that
> I`ll NOT be depressed, but still I say NO-thank you, and off course he
> will
> not force me because he knows me very well and we are real good
> friends.
> I`m looking forward hearing what you mean.
>
> Sonia Nielsen
> Denmark
>
> NEVER GIVE UP
HI Sonia,

It is certainly not usual for someone to get depressed on Eldepryl.  In
high doses Eldepryl acts as an antidepressant.  Having said that I
firmly believe that because it theoretically shouldn't happen does not
mean that the Eldepryl did not cause or increase your depression.
Everyone reacts individually to a particular drug. It may have been a
psychological reaction rather than a pharmacological one and if your
neurologist feels strongly that you should take the drug you might
consider it -  but carefully starting with low dose and then gradually
increasing.

Charlie
--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.