Brian,

I share your opinion that we as individuals must take
responsibility for our medications. I also share your
experience in regard to the narrow window between
overdose and underdose of levadopa.

The problem is exacerbated here in Australia as Madopar
is only available in capsule form, with the smallest dose
being 50:12.5.  The smallest Sinemet tablet is 100:25.
This can be divided in 1/2 (back to 50:12.5) but not
quarters.

In my case, a single sinemet (100:25), taken 3 hourly, fails to
'turn me "On"' at all, whereas 1 and1/2 sinemet 3 hourly
(effectively 150:37.5) produces a mild right side dyskinesia
(I recently had a right sided pallidotomy) .  I feel certain that
were I able to put myself on 1 and 1/4 tablets, I would be
able to reproduce at will (brave words, I know) the perfect
"on" that even now I experience several times a week.
Sinemet CR is only available here as 200:50.  I have found
it impossible to work with, as I have either no "on", or an
intolorable level of right sided dyskinesia.

When I have raised this subject with neurologists, they have
without fail assured me that 50:12.5 is a "tiny" amount, which
should not need reducing. It seems that there is "something
wrong with me" if I find otherwise.  Doctors are just like the
rest of us, they prefere it if things fall into neat catagories. I
don't blame them for this, but I make sure I remember it in all
my dealings with them.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10