> Diane McHutchison wrote:
>
> All ---
>
> My mom asked me to post this query to my "net-buddies", as she put it.
> We know that paranoia and hallucinations are all part of the
> Parkinson's package, but for the past couple of days, Dad's been > outdoing himself.
>
> He's absolutely convinced that there is / has been / will be a fire at
> the nursing home.  Monday morning, in fact, the director of social
> services "walked" with him to each room on the floor (Dad's in a
> wheelchair right now), and he felt each and every doorknob to see that
> it was not hot (as it would be in a fire).  Even after that ritual, he
> still wouldn't give up the idea.
>
> It was suggested to him that he go downstairs, and outside, so that he
> could see that the building was fine.  He got quite indignant, stating
> that he couldn't go downstairs.... he can't go down the stairs in the
> wheelchair, and everyone knows that you don't use elevators in a fire.
>
> They finally convinced him to go down, and Mom and he sat in the
> community room downstairs.  The primary purpose for getting him off of
> the 2nd floor that afternoon was that, as luck would have it, they were
> having a fire drill!  (The staff knew about it, the residents didn't).
>
> Another evening recently Dad hustled Mom out of the day room they were
> visiting in.  When she asked why, he told her simply to move it now,
> and he'd explain later.  Once "safely" down the hall she asked him
> again, and he told her that the room was on fire... couldn't she see
> it?
>
> Now.  He's never been in a fire;  My uncles are all firefighters, as > are my brother-in-law, nephew, husband, and myself.  We've never had >
any of our homes damaged by fire.

> Could it be that because he can't do anything for himself (get out of
> bed, walk alone, etc.) that he's feeling trapped, and worrying?  What
> is it with the fire.... does anyone else have such vivid fears--- > centering on a single topic?
>
> Thanks for any and all input.  We're all baffled.
>
> Diane McHutchison
> LD Caregiver for Dad (69/7+)
Diane,

I'm sorry to say I don't have any answers for you, just a suggestion.  I
am going through the same thing with my grandmother.  There are several
different themes to her hallucinations. Fire is one of them.  She's had
this one numerous times.  For a while I tried to convince her there
hadn't been a fire, but it just antagonized her.  I read, and I have
found it to be true in her case, that the best thing to do is not to
argue or try to convince her, but to just say "oh" (or some other
noncomittal remark) and change the subject to something else.  Trying to
get her to look at things logically and reasonably just makes her upset.
>From talking to her, it's obvious to me, that the fire is just as real to
her as the chair she's sitting on. If I don't disagree with her, she
generally doesn't dwell on the hallucination and therefore doesn't
become agitated.  Maybe this will work for you until your dad's
medication can be looked into.

Lori Bauer cg for grandmother 87/7