[log in to unmask] wrote:

>        Am interested in knowing whether a 55 year old man who was recently
>diagnosed (but in looking back has exhibited some symptoms--slower movement,
>stuttering, hoarseness and small voice for 2 to 3 years and swallowing
>difficulties for 20 years) would be considered to have young onset
>Parksinson's.

While researchers tend to define "young-onset" as a group of individuals up
to 40-45 years of age, our Center tends to include anyone who is still
dealing with major issues like parenting and employment.  That means that we
often send materials to people with PD who are in the 50-55, or even 55-60
year old range.

We'd be happy to help your friend with referrals and/or materials geared
toward the young-onset Parkinsonians (and if your friend is outside of the
country - we can try and help you find a young group or network that is more
local).   Feel free to email or call!

Sherline Lee
Admin. Asst
APDA Young Parkinson's I&R Center