Dear List-Friends...

I've been digging myself out from under what appears to be a ton of email
today from a great many of ya commiserating me about the loss of my job on
MSN.   While I usually respond directly to anyone how emails me, there's just
too many messages to do so.

First, thanks to each of you who took the time to drop me email.  It was more
than welcome!   Each of you in your own way made me feel good and picked my
spirits right up.

After being a forum manager on MSN for the past 22 months, and running my own
large BBS for the 4 years prior to MSN - each a 7 day a week 24 hour a day job
(ok... so the systems work 24 hours a day.. I only worked about 12 to 14 hours
a day) <grin>  The only days off I've bad since July, 1992, was the day I had
my pallidotomy - and I was back online the day after the surgery - and the day
my daughter got married.  I'm due not only for a rest, 'cause I'm absolutely
beat, but also want to play a little now.  Geee... I hope I haven't forgotten
HOW to play! <smile>

HEADS UP!  I've learned a valuable lesson which will apply to all US citizens
who have or may have SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) and/or
Medicare.

After a 3 year battle with Social Security trying to get them to acknowledge I
was disabled and therefor entitled to SSDI and Medicare benefits, eventually,
with the help of an attorney who specialized in Social Security law, I was
declared disabled.   The entire procedure was a long, drawn out and
humiliating affair, including having the original "hanging judge" who fixated
on the length of my fingernails (HA!  He shoulda seen 'em the night BEFORE the
hearing when not only were they longer, but were brilliant RED!) <giggle>.

Despite his apparent fingernail fetish the judge granted me SSDI and Medicare
benefits so I had some income (1/2 the amount of my mortgage payment) and
Medicare..

HERE'S THE RUB:  SSDI permits an individual on SSDI and/or Medicare to return
to work for 36 months without losing their 'disabled' status.  There is an
immediate return of benefits should that individual stop working (for whatever
reason) during that time span.  During that 36 months, Medicare is still in
effect, and in fact, one receives the full SSDI payment each month for 9
months after becoming employed (NEAT!)

I worked for 22 months prior to being laid off yesterday.  I immediately
called SSDI to get my benefits reinstated and found that not only had I been
DROPPED from the roles of SSDI - I was no longer considered disabled.  My
Medicare had been stopped also and I have NO medical insurance right now!

SSDI wouldn't discuss this with me during this initial phone call.  instead, I
now have a "phone interview" scheduled with one of their reps on July 18th at
1:31 p.m. (I kid you not... 1:31 pm).   I have that phone interview because
according to SSDI, I have to go thru the ENTIRE ORIGINAL PROCEDURE ONCE
AGAIN!!!  The one that took me 3 years with the help of a lawyer before a
decision was made in my favor!   Someone at SSDI had screwed up on my file and
I'm stuck in limbo till this is settled.

After speaking with an aid at my Congressman's office today, I spent a couple
of hours on my PC banging out a letter with the whole story per his request.
I'm not going to play by the SSDI rules THIS time and wait another 3 years for
my Disability Insurance.

DO keep this experience in mind if and when you get SSDI and/or Medicare, and
if ya have any kind of full time work while receiving those benefits.  This
was a real eye opener to me!

Barb Mallut