For what it's worth:   There is a bill H.R.58, sponsored by Rep
Furse, which will "amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to
improve Medicare treatment and education for beneficiaries with
diabetes by providing coverage of diabetes outpatient self-
management training services and uniform coverage of blood-testing
strips for individuals with diabetes."

It has 280 cosponsors.  The cosponsors of H.R.58 who are not
cosponsors of H.R.1260 are listed below (if I've done this
correctly).  Although there is a big difference in scope, I'm
mentioning this as a possible indication of representatives who, all
things being equal, are favorably disposed toward health
legislation.  If any of the ones in the list haven't been contacted
by their constituents, it seems worth a try.

(And I wonder how it got 280 cosponsors!)

Baesler - 02/10/97
Barcia - 03/04/97
Bartlett - 03/12/97
Bilirakis - 01/21/97