It's been about 5 months since my mother's diagnosis (Joyce, 67) and about
that amount of time since I plowed through the Web to learn about this
disease. I seem to remember reading that L-dopa's conversion to dopamine is
accomplished by loss of an amino acid (I guess the neurons that die in a
PWP perform this detachment). If this picture is correct, and given what is
happening in a PWP -- i.e., death of the neuron that makes this conversion
-- it seems that L-dopa won't do someone in advanced stages too much good
as the neurons to transform the L-dopa into dopamine just aren't there in
numbers.

What I'm wondering is, is it possible to pass  "smart L-dopa" through the
blood-brain barrier -- that is, L-dopa that somehow contains within itself
the ability to get rid of (dropping) the amino acid that transforms it into
dopamine? Assuming I have set up the picture correctly, does anyone know if
any type of work is being done in this area -- if it's even possible?
Thanks.

Debbie White