Hi Sonya,

Unfortunately there are no generally available tests that conclusively
make the diagnosis of PD.  The clinical symptoms and signs and the
history are essentially what are used.  There is data on the PET scan
being used to make the diagnosis but it is not routinely used except in
research settings.  There are a number of tests that are routinely done
to rule out other conditions which may mimic PD some of which are more
treatable and some are less.  Those tests include serum copper, heavy
metals,  B-12, MRI scan + others. If your mother's neurologist is not
certain of the diagnosis I would suggest that your mother be seen in a
movement disorders clinic for a diagnostic evaluation.

To Billy- our resident nihilist,

Because the illness cannot be diagnosed by a lab test does not mean that
it doesn't exist. Those of us with PD have clear evidence of loss of
cells in our substantia nigra.  Unfortunately to confirm the diagnosis
the SN must be examined under a microscope  at autopsy.  It is like
saying someone did not have pancreatic cancer in the pre-MRI days
because we couldn't make the diagnosis without doing a laperotomy
(exploratory surgery).  Whether it was conclusively diagnosed or not-
it killed its victims just as dead!!)

--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
MADISON, WISCONSIN