On Thu 10 Jul, David Langridge wrote:
> >Dear Pat, Donna, Rosemary, Robert and David
> >

> >David L, you are the one who started this thread. I can agree with
> >your observation that the wearing off dyskinesia is not influenced
> >by the amount of drugs taken, moreover it may be that the end of dose
> >dyskinesia is less with a higher dose. The problem
> >for me however is, that I have a diminished therapeutic window on top of
> >the mentioned symptoms. So when I take too much sinemet I can expect top
> >of dose dysk. Your Parkinson, David, is not as much advanced as mine is.
>
> Thankyou Ida you are right.I noticed the effect very soon after I started
> using sinemet albeit in very minor form.Like your however I believe that
> this diphasic stuff is a very real experience effecting a minority of pd
> ers. Sorry that you have backed out of the great debate progressing at
> "snail pace". My curiosity having been thoroughly arouses as to the cause I
> expect to continue it at snail pace temporallly blipped by a snail pace
> house moving operation. Look forward to a another exciting installment when
> I have fathomed out how it is possible for an ordinary  pd er to reproduce
> end of dose dyskers.
>
> David Langridge.

Hello David.  I am pleased to see that you are still willing to read my post.
I will try to describe what I have discovered about 2-phase Dyskinesia.

If we go back a few weeks, I was trying to explain how I believed I could
place myself on the road to end-of-dose dysk.  Ida seized on the point that
I did not mention start-of-dose dyskinesia as being proof that I was
somehow different and my findings may work for me, but were not for real
D-i-D people.  Well, the fact is, I did get start-of-dose Dysk - I didn't
mention it because I fully expected to get it, starting as soon as I passed
my normal levodopa flow rate.

   There is no doubt that I tackled the problem in a different way. My
working hypothesis was that D-i-d characteristics can be induced in anyone,
given the right circumstances.  I had already noticed that there seemed to
be a common thread running through the tablet schedules quoted by the
d-i-d sufferers - a short, sharp ascent to a high levodopa flow rate,
followed by a period of moderate flow rate,  followed by a reduction to
zero, which seems to set off the heavy dysk. So, I tried it on myself -
ONCE !!  The key point is the initial overshoot, even when it occcurs in the
early morning. The space between the initial overshoot and the end  of dose
is spent in a funny sort of limbo, which is not 'normal', but appparently
gives acceptable symptoms.  My (only)  experience was not acceptable,
but that may just be me. The fundamental point is that by not allowing the
initial overshoot to occur, we never start the cycle which ends in the
dyskinesia.  In my case, and I hope in other's, there is an intermediate
path to be followed, which gives  me a far more natural 'on' state.

The ability to get into the d-i-d condition has become easier as my basic
condition has progressed, so not everyone will be able to make use of this
effect. keeping to the low path is in some ways more difficult, and
surprisingly needs more levodopa than the 'high' road, but it is a viable
alternative.

My next problem is to find out how many people can potentially benefit from
the information.

--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>