 Bravo Marling!  It is so true that people's understanding of the disease is
very superficial.  I've found this to be true of our politicians, as well,
even in a case where one representative's grandfather had PD--or so he said.
 I remember MY complete ignorance when I was dx w/PD--huh???

Even though we've had some publicity here, and in our extended metro-area
there are numerous support groups, I think I'll try the letters to the editor
route as well.  You've had such a good response to yours, I'd love to have a
copy as a model.
Is that ok?

BTW, I visited your web page.  Looks good!

Barbara Blake-Krebs    [log in to unmask]

<<   Sat, 12 Jul 1997 06:53:46 -0400   Marling McReynolds

It seems that since my diagnosis everyone around me asks me questions.  I am
amazed at how little they know about PD, and how many things they think they
know that just are not so.

I wrote a letter to the editor in our local paper explaining the basics about
PD
and about the Udall bill.  It came out on Monday and between then and now
(Friday night) I have had dozens of people comment that they learned a lot
from
my letter.  They had no idea of the truth of PD.  And, some of them even let
me
know that they were calling Representative Riggs (R-CA) to say that he should
be
co-sponsoring the bill.

I intend to write more for the paper on PD and other such conditions so that
the
general public will understand a little more when they see someone who seems
"not exactly right" or learns that they or their friends are diagnosed with
it.

We are a small community and everyone's first reaction was to say it was so
sad,
and they were sorry to lose me.  BUT, I'm still here and still working!  I
guess
I just want people to understand a little better.

Have any of you tried to educate your community about PD??>>