<<Sun, 13 Jul 1997 10:59:12 -0400  Joao Paulo Carvalho
<[log in to unmask]> asked:

You asked for it Barb.... :-)

I have read and heard that vitamim B interfere with the action of
Sinemet and you mention that you take both.How come ?>>

And you sent me scrambling through my disc files to accurately recall why I
did, Joao Paulo.  In large part it's due to a success tale told by Joyce
Tames on a vacation last summer, whereby B6 & B12 reduced drowsiness and
increased energy. During the ensuing discussion thread several authorities
including our always reliable Kathrynne Holden noted: "Levodopa (Dopar)
requires limitation of B6 to less than 5 mg per day, as it may decrease the
drug's effect. However, levodopa-carbidopa (Sinemet and Sinemet CR) may be
taken without regard to B6, as carbidopa prevents the negative B6 effect
(taken from  "Food-Medication Interactions" 8th Ed, Z.M. Pronsky, MS, RD)."

In January, 1997, Joyce had this to say:  "An internist suggested that I take
a large dose of Vit B12 every other day.  My neuro agreed...it took about one
week and Ive never dosed off while talking or eating or other embarrassing
situations.  Im always peppy and feel good.

BTW B12 is used a a calming agent for the nervous system.......

5000mcg  B12  (Cyanocobalamin)
100 mg    B1    (thiaman)
50 mg      B6    (Pyridoxine Hydrocloride) -  Joyce"

Actually, I take a miniscule amount compared to this.  Hmmmm-maybe I should
consider increasing it. :-)

There's more in the archives about this if anyone wants to look into it
further.

Regards,

Barbara Blake-Krebs (56,dx 1984)  [log in to unmask]
Merriam  KS  USA