>>> BMIS08 <[log in to unmask]>
07/18/97 02:33am >>>
>Does anyone know if there are any herbs or natural
>remedies for PD?  A friend of mine whose wife had
>Alzheimer Disease told me that a druggist he knew
>recommended Lecithin.  Anyone ever hear of this?
>JH<<

Hi JH:

Lecithin is a fat that is found in liver, eggs, soybeans and
peanuts.  A component of lecithin is choline.  In order for the
brain to manufacture a major neurotransmitter, acetylcholine,
one's diet must contain lecithin/choline.  Although the brain
produces choline naturally, ingested lecithin/choline is
absorbed faster, especially by an exercised brain.

If a person loses the brain neurons that supply acetylcholine
that person will develop Alzheimer's disease.  Although
doctors have found that Alzheimer's resists treatment,
lecithin can stimulate the activity of acetylcholine in the brain
of persons without Alzheimer's and improve memory.

Normal dietary standards for lecithin are not established.
Doctors recommend 40 to 80 grams of lecithin per day.

As for "herbs or natural remedies" for PD, I'll address those
topics in a separate posting.

Stephan 53/7   <[log in to unmask]>