Ida,

Most of my books are in my office (which I have been to about twice in
the past 3 months) so my answers to your questions are from memory. In
fact I am not sure whether it is spelled "akathesia", "akethesia",  or
"akithesia".

The descriptions of the symptom are as has been described by others-  an
"antsy" feeling (like ants are crawling inside your skin". It is a
feeling that one has to get up and walk around or pace. It differs from
dyskinesia in that in dyskinesia the movements are involuntary but can
be surpressed with difficulty while in akathesia the movements are
totally voluntary but driven by a subjective feeling that is hard to
resist.  The psychiatric analagy would be a compulsion to was one's
hands- as the voluntary action is resisted the inner distress becomes
greater.

Most of the neuroleptic drugs - the phenothiazines (such as
chlorpromazine or perphenazine) or buterophenones (such as haloperidol)
can cause akathesia.

I hope this is helpful.

Charlie

--