Dennis Greene wrote:

> I have experienced akathesia (another lovely word to add to the
> list) for some years now. I used to call it the "heeby jeebies". I
> have always associated it with periods of low medication levels.
> The 'cure' was voluntary movement, until my meds kicked in.

I think that the words "heeby jeebies" are well suited to convey
the quality of the sensation.  They sound like it feels.
Akathisia-kinesthesia!

Since 1) akathisia is relieved by voluntary movement or stretching,
2) the sensation occurs in the limbs after a period of not moving, 3)
it is associated with low dopamine, 4) low dopamine causes muscular
rigidity, and, 5) as Dr. Charlie wrote a few days ago, the
antipsychotic drugs block dopamine and cause both akathisia and
rigidity, I wonder whether the origin of the sensation is muscular?
Is this how the muscles ask for relief from rigidity, or, perhaps,
for oxygen?  If you move, you get your circulation going again.

I just remembered where else I've felt this sensation: it's when
I've tried for some time without success to complete a task
requiring concentrated, highly controlled and very accurate slow
movement, such as positioning a mouse pointer where there is hardly
any latitude, or threading a needle.

The difference is that the rigidity is involuntary and it creeps
up on us without our much noticing, so we tend to not think of the
akathisia as muscular.

Does this make sense?

Phil T.
59/6