Hi,

>The volume of messages this group produces is overwhelming and I think
>most of us read them selectively.  Unless one receives their list mail
>in digest form non-list e-mail can easily be overlooked.  It should be
>noted that the size of the list has remained constant over the past few
>months in spite of the growth of the internet.  I have talked to many
>people who have been so overwhelmed by the volume that they have left
>the list.

This is what can happen to Internet discussion forums:
        1. someone identifies a topic for discussion, and starts a list (or
           newsgroup).
        2. people join the list. It is successful.
        3. more people join the list. Lots of mail. Discussion about reducing
           amount of mail. Lotus of helpful suggestions. Some anger vented
           between people who have different ideas about what is and isn't
           "on topic".
        4. People leave the list because they find the volume too much.

This is exactly what is happening to PARKINSN - we've now hit equalibrium,
more than about 1,500 people, mail gets too much, some people leave, volume
drops back to what people can deal with.

Here's the alternative:
        1. Someone identifies a topic for discussion, and starts a list (or
           newsgroup).
        2. People join the list. It is successful.
        3. More people join the list. Lots of mail. Discussion about reducing
           amount of mail. Lotus of helpful suggestions. Some anger vented
           between people who have different ideas about what is and isn't
           "on topic".
        4. Someone suggests splitting the list into maybe two or three
different
           lists, covering different sub topics. (in our case, how about
           drugs, lifestyle, Udall bill?)
        5. Main, original list remains as a kind of "Misc" area. Traffic much
           lower. People join other lists according to their tastes.
        6. Everyone happy. Total community grows significantly, happily, until
           the sub-lists need splitting in themselves.

I generally float this suggestion everytime people concerned about the
amount of traffic on the list..... and I get a lot of emotion back about
"we can't split the main list".

Well, I don't think its something we can afford to get emotional about. IF
WE DON'T DO SOMETHING TO SOLVE THE STRUCTURAL PROBLEM THE PARKINSON'S LISTS
WILL REMAIN AT ABOUT 1,500 MEMBERS, REGARDLESS OF HOW LARGE THE INTERNET
GROWS. I think that will be a major pity. I also think *the only* solution
is to create sub-lists - asking people to moderate their posts, put
keywords in the subjects, etc. will only work for a short time, if at all.

At the moment there are four Parkinson's lists on the Internet:
        - PARKINSN, this one.
        - CARE, for carers, run by Camilla
        - PARKLISTE, which is basically PARKINSN but in French
        - PDUK, which is for "Parkinson's issues in the UK"

I think we should start some more, to reduce the number of topics on the
PARKINSN list:
        - PDDRUGS, for discussions about Drugs in Parkinson's
        - PDLIFE, about Parkinson's lifestyle issues
        - PDUDALL, for all the stuff about the Udall bill

Leaving the technical issues aside (like where to host the lists), what do
people think? Would you support these lists? What to do? Do you care?

If people think there needs to be a more involved discussion, which
probably shouldn't clog up this list, I am happy to setup a temporary list
where we can discuss these issues.

Simon

--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: [log in to unmask]
New Information Paradigms                  Work Phone: +44 1344 778783
http://www.nipltd.com/                     Work Fax:   +44 1344 772510
=============== Life is too precious to take seriously ===============