Just wanted to pass on my experience with Premipexole due to it's recent
announcement being marketed under the new name - Maripex.
My experience has been with two drug trials. The first trial was a blind
study lasting eleven weeks. It appears that I was on some level as when the
study ended, my tremor got worse as the medication left my system. The second
trial was a long term safety study lasting about three years. While on the
study, I continued taking Amantadine as I was on this medication when the
trial began. Between the two drugs, my temor was held to a minimum manageable
level and there did not appear to be much progression in other Parkinson
symptons. In addition, I was not taking Sinemet at any time during the trial.
My side effects include mild memory loss and drowsiness. The drowsiness is a
problem that restricts my driving while on trips. I am good for an hour or
two at a time. I have been known to fall asleep at the dinner table with
guests, when talking with my wife, and when sitting listening to a sermon or
talk for a duration of over 30 minutes. These side efftcts are minimal when
compared to the experience with Artane. I tries that medication twice in the
last seven years and experienced severe mental confusion, memory loss, and
decreased vision.
I took the opportunity to decrease both Amantadine and Pramipexole during the
three year period. This did not seem to affect my Parkinson's. Also, I have
been on Zoloft for about three years for depression. I also decreased the
dosage here without a noticeable difference in mood. I might ask my doctor at
my next visit to go off it completely.
If any one has questions that they want to direct to me personally, please
feel free to do so.

John F. McCabe   58/7