>Subject: Re: perceptions
>Wonderful description of depression and our choices of
>what to do about it. It's easier said than done to make
>those choices when in the midst of depression, and your
>letter makes clear, but the choices are there.
>I'm going to save your article to re-read and to share
>with friends, if you don't mind.  Thanks.
>Margie Swindler

dear margie

thank you for your kind words
and please feel to free to share away!

recognising cd is the hardest aspect i think
probably followed by accepting it
and deciding to deal with it

it's as common as the common cold
but more so in parkies
it's been hidden away in the 'looneybin' closet
for too long

as far as i'm concerned:

if i have double-vision
i have a type of bio-visual imbalance
which needs to be corrected
no shame/guilt/fear attached

if i have pd
i have a type of bio-chemical imbalance
which needs to be corrected
no shame/guilt/fear attached

if i have cd
i have a type of bio-chemical imbalance
which needs to be corrected
no shame/guilt/fear attached

the 'corrections'
are simply the ways and means i have at my disposal
to 'tune-up' and 'fine-tune' as much as possible
this bio-chemical body
i live in
cuz i don't have a spare one handy

the catch 22 of cd
relative to other imbalances
is that it affects my perception of myself and my world

the only reason i could recognise it in myself the first time
was because i had done a lot of reading on the subject
in order to understand someone near and dear

after i was on an anti-depressant medication for a few weeks
the clouds broke and the sun blazed through one day
when i caught myself singing on the way to work
for the first time in two years

at that moment i fully realized

[a] that there really had been clouds
[b] that they had been dogging me for two years
[c] that they had snuck up behind me silent and slow
[d] that they had been twisting my perceptions like fun-house mirrors

except that it wasn't very much fun

however
from the perspective i now have
i can look on all of it as invaluable growing experience
and would not change a thing
not cd and not pd

how else would i have arrived at this point
of sharing so much with you?

janet