On 07/15/97 Camilla suggested re the List:

>One thing that would be a help in terms of time spent is something we
>repeatedly remind ourselves of---it is NOT NECESSARY when replying to a
post >to QUOTE the whole thing!

I agree with Camilla's sage advice and offer the following:

        AUNT MARTHA'S HANDY HINTS FOR LIST HEALTH AND HARMONY

1. You just wrote a response or sent some useful information to the List.
NOW: go back and with the mouse select all unnecessary parts of the message
you are responding to. DELETE.

2. THEN: Ask yourself if this is will be of possible interest to some 1500
people in countries all around the world. If not, go back to the heading and
DELETE that portion of the address that sends it to EVERYONE world-wide.

3. CHECK the subject line: Is it relevant to this message? If not, CHANGE
it. Make the subject line a pertinent attention grabber if you don't want
your message to suffer the dreaded DELETE KEY INSTANT DEMISE that has been
sweeping through the list lately like chicken pox through a kindergarden.

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that we were responding to a survey and
saying how much we valued the friendly help and warm support we derived from
the list? I'd hate to see it splintered, just a tad more disciplined
perhaps.

Martha Rohrer