Bruce Warr wrote:
>>> Bruce Warr <[log in to unmask]> 07/16/97 11:59am>>>
Phil,
What you describe is known (appropriately enough) as
"Restless Legs Syndrome" or RLS.  I started having RLS
about five years before I was DXed with PD. The symptoms
disappeared for a while after I started on PD medication
(Amantadine, then Sinemet and Eldepryl).
After a while the symptoms re-appeared, much worse than
before.  I am a clinical researcher and so did a bit of
self-research on  the phenomenon. The only conclusion I
could reach is that at times the RLS seemed to be a
side-effect of my PD meds and at other times it seemed to
be a withdrawal symptom. After a couple of years the RLS
disappeared (along with other common side-effects such as
nausea) and it has been about four years since the last
occurance.
As to relieving the symptoms, my neurologist prescribed
Nortripolin (a sleeping pill that is also an anti-depressant) and
that helped a bit, but what helped the most (and I'm not
trying to be risque) was having an orgasm.
 Bruce<aka Starman>55/9 Sinemet CR and Mirapex>>>>

Bruce, Phil, others:
Restless Legs Syndrome usually comes on with rest and
can be relieved temporarily with walking, massage or
movement.  The symptoms are described by patients as
occurring at night causing them to come awake several
times during the night.  This leads to fatigue during the day.

About 50% of all people over 65 describe RLS and the exact
cause is unknown, although some doctors recommend
treatment for iron deficiency.

For PD patients RLS will usually respond to a half to a whole
Sinemet 25/100 tablet at bedtime every three days.
However, most patients experience side effects, such as an
advance in the timing of the symptoms: from nighttime to
early evening (or afternoon).  In those cases doctors
prescribe an agonist - pergolide or bromocriptine.  Nausea
and nasal congestion are reported side effects.

If RLS symptoms persist, codeine combined with an agonist
gives some relief.

More information can be obtained from the National Sleep
Foundation, 729 Fifteenth Street, NW, 4th floor, Washington,
D.C.  20005.

As for Bruce's observation regarding org-  uh, . . . state of
excitability . . . I'm going to leave a copy of his posting on the
bed for my wife to read.

Stephan 53/6    <[log in to unmask]>